UNDP Global Goals for Sustainable DevelopmentTBOP2017 ⋅ 4:43 ⋅ Filmed May 12, 2017
Sometimes, a message can change your life. For Shauna Levy, CEO of The Design Exchange, Canada’s sole museum dedicated to design, that message was a URL which took her to a United Nations video. And she’s here to play that same message for you, in the hopes of changing your life. Sharing this powerful, spine-tingling content with the audience, Shauna explains how we all need to rethink our missions, roles, and responsibilities in life. Poverty, pollution, global warming, homelessness — these are all challenges that we must face together with courage, innovation, and creativity.
At the same time, we were starting to work on a design festival. There are lots of events around the world that the design industry goes to. It was important once again to create something that was accessible to a broad audience.
[00:11] We talked about doing all these cool things with technology and innovation and creating this really cool, exciting experience but it really wasn't until I received this one line email from one of my directors on my board that was a one line email that simply was a URL. The was www.globalgoals.org that changed the direction of not only the festival, not only the direction the institution but own personal thinking about the real power and opportunity for design. So I'm going to show you now the video that was part of that URL and took us [in] this new direction (plays video).
[00:47] "We can be. We must be. The first generation to end extreme poverty. The generation most determined to fight injustice and inequalities. The generation that saves the planet from climate change and this is how it will get done. The global goals, a 15 year plan for everyone, everywhere with no one left behind.
- No Poverty. We will live in a world where nobody, anywhere lives in extreme poverty.
- Zero Hunger. Where no one goes hungry. Where no one wakes in the morning asking if there will be food today.
- Good Health & Well-Being. We will live in a world where no child has to die from diseases. We know how to cure. And where proper health care is a lifelong ride for us all.
- Quality of Education. We will live in a world where everyone goes to school and education give us the knowledge and skills for fulfilling life.
- Gender Equality. We will live in a world where all girls and all women will have equality opportunities to thrive, and be powerful and safe. We cannot succeed if half the world is held back.
- Clean Water & Sanitation. We will live in a world where all people can get clean water and proper toilets at home, at school and at work.
- Affordable & Clean Energy. We will live in a world with sustainable energy for everyone. Heat, light and power for the whole planet, without destroying the planet.
- Decent Work & Economic Growth. We will live in a world where economies prosper and new wealth leads to decent jobs for everyone.
- Industry, Innovation & Infrastructure. We will live in a world where our industries, our infrastructure and our best innovations are not just used to make money but to make our lives better.
- Reduced Inequalities. We will live in a world where prejudices and extremes of equality are defeated inside our countries and between different countries.
- Sustainable Cities & Communities. Where live in cities and communities that are safe, progressive and support everyone who lives there.
- Responsible Consumption & Production. Where we replace what we consume. A planet where we put back what we take out of the earth.
- Climate Action. Live in a world that is decisively rolling back from climate change.
- Life Below Water. Where we restore and protect the life in our oceans and seas.
- Life on Land. Restore and protect life on land, the forests and most of the earth itself.
- Peace, Justice & Strong Institutions. With peace between and inside countries where (inaudible) are open and answer to us for what they do at home and abroad and justice rules with everyone equal before the law.
- Partnerships for the Goals. Where all countries and we, their people, work together in partnerships of all kinds to make these goals a reality for everyone, everywhere.These are the United Nations global goals for sustainable development. Let's get to work. Let's make it happen (video ends).
[03:41] So how many of you are familiar with the UNDP's goals for sustainable development? Show of hands? Got a couple of you here, excellent.
[03:49] For me this was a really important moment. At that point was not familiar with the goals and I saw the video, and I have to confess that the hair on my arms still stands up every time I see it. There were two things I took away from this video.
[04:03] One was that, clearly, these challenges will never be met if we don't all work together. It's a question of government, corporate and people to all come together that will make these things happen.
[04:14] Second, what the video showed me was that, they were all design challenges. I believe that if we apply innovative thinking, creative thought and throw in a dash of courage in that, we will be able to solve challenges like the ones outlined here.